Thursday, September 16, 2010

Which path is the one for me?

Since I was around 7 months pregnant with Leah I have been fascinated by all things breastfeeding, cloth diapering, labor & birth, doula & midwife related thanks to an awesome group of ladies that shed A LOT of light on the topics for me. I spend a lot of my free time researching, browsing forums and websites, as well as networking with others that have a similar interest in everything birth-y as it's often put. I have piles upon piles of printed stories and articles, highlighted with questions scribbled and AHA! moments jotted down. I love when someone asks me for my help or opinion - because many of those women are just like I was not too long ago. Completely unaware of the many choices she has before her when it comes to raising her child.

In April I re-enrolled (more like re-activated) my studies at Penn Foster for Veterinary Technician certification. While I love animals and I enjoy learning about how to care for them, and would enjoy bettering an animals life, I don't feel as strongly about it as I do about being, say, a birth educator or a lactation consultant. I don't spend my free time reading about animal illnesses caused by alternative feeding methods, I don't look up the benefits of letting my dog sleep in my bed. I love animals, and I ensure I obtain all of the information I can to care for them correctly, but I wouldn't spend a rainy day reading books about them.

I've been kinda sorta looking for schools &/or programs that I could take while in Okinawa or after returning to the states. I found a few that are wonderful, and one was suggested to me by a lovely woman named Kayce that is a distance learning class that costs $400 for all of the books, study guides, CD's, etc. that I would use to study with. It looks, and sounds, perfect for lack of a better word.

The problem I'm running in to is we have a payment plan set up with Penn Foster to pay my $700 tuition for the semester I am currently enrolled in (over 1/2 way through). Christian completely understands how in love I am with everything motherhood and I know he would tell me to go for it if I mentioned to him I wanted to enroll in a few weeks/months/a year or two. But I feel guilty. I feel like if I don't stick with this vet tech program for the next 2 years like I originally expected to I just threw away that $700 and made myself look like an idiot.

When I originally enrolled in the program I was fueled by "well what do you expect to do when your kids are in school? You need an education, you need a job!" I like animals, let's do something with animals then. Vet tech certification is a lot cheaper and faster than trying to get my RN or become a teacher, right? Clearly I made that choice without thinking it through.

That's where this entry comes in.

I feel like this is something I'd love to do. As Cassie, my dear friend, has said the life of a doula/midwife is not glamorous and it's not always convenient. Babies are born when THEY want to be, you can't plan around that. As much as I think I'd enjoy being part of the birthing process I don't feel comfortable considering that line of work, at least not right now. Childbirth educator, however, I think would be amazingly fascinating and rewarding job. Same goes with becoming a lactation consultant. I love nursing and it broke my heart when Leah and I came to the point in our relationship where I could tell it was just stressful for her and she was no longer getting ALL of the benefits she deserved. Nursing for us wasn't just about saving money or convenience - it was a time for us to spend together, calmly and quietly. One of the biggest things I look forward to with our new son is nursing again.

So, basically, I am at a crossroads in my "future" life. Haha. I am just afraid of beginning this line of study and something derailing it somehow. Or my husband thinking I am just blowing his money on things I don't take seriously. I don't think he'd ever feel that way but you never know. *sigh*

What would you do? Go with the training & education you could enjoy if you put your mind to it or take the plunge and chase what you feel you are more in tune with?

2 comments:

  1. Take the plunge and chase what you feel you are more in tune with, hands down. It would be a waste to invest even MORE money and MORE years in veterinary care if that's not what you feel in tune with. I don't think the $ you've spent on it so far has been a waste since it's shown you that it's not what you really want to dive into. You wouldn't have known that if you didn't try! So I say go for what you feel is going to make you happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nessa! I actually went through a similar problem. I always wanted to be a doctor and then chose not to apply for medical school because I wouldn't be able to care for my family in the future as much as I would want to. However, about a month or so after studying Spanish and French translation, I remember what I really wanted to do, what made me happy. And I realized that if I didnt take a risk, I would be stuck doing something I dont love my whole life. And so I changed it, I applied, got accepted, and now I'm extremely happy. Even though I had to make a sacrifice, I went for what I wanted the most. So that's my advice to you. You have your whole life ahead of yourself, and the best way to spend it is by doing things you love the most!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?